Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Native Transplant

My "tour of duty" in the South began in Pensacola, Florida. Next stop was the exotic climes of Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, then San Diego, Dallas, New Orleans, Norfolk, Virginia, & finally, back to Pensacola, a period spanning 37 years. We are now ensconced in the Deep South. Welcome!

There's an expression in the military, "The best assignment is either where you're coming from or where you're going to, but never where you're at." Negative thinking doesn't work. Always make the best of life in the moment. Enjoy what you now have in hand.

Granted, I'm a lucky man. I've been fortunate in life & have a wonderful partner to share it with. The South is where we belong now. The term "native transplant" seems to fit.

There's an element of responsibility in being a rolling stone. We've now lived in our home here more than twice as long as any where else. We are geographically separated from our families, & it is incumbent upon us to stay in touch & visit as often as we can. Yes, we all live on a two way street, but I also try to live by the creed, "you meet people where they are, not where you want them to be."

This concept is essential when traveling or moving. If you are visiting a foreign speaking land, at the very least it is nice to know hello, please, thank you & goodbye in the native tongue.

Culture shock can be minimized by doing a bit of research, but in the end experience is key. That is probably why people like to keep going back to familiar places.

The culture of the South exists in a large geographic area sometimes referred to as "Dixie." Second only to the "West" in size by my reckoning, I would say that Dixie stands alone in regional cultural depth. By this I mean although there are a lot of differences, there is an abundance of warmth, openness & congeniality making it easy for the casual visitor and transplant like myself to acclimate. Y'all come down now, ya hear?

So where am I transplanted from, you might ask? I was born & grew up in New England, & forever in my heart I am a New Englander. My Yankee blood can be traced back eleven generations to the landing of the Mayflower in 1620, on Plymouth rock, Plymouth, Massachusetts. I have the credentials needed to join the Mayflower Society, but never have(what's the point I wonder?)

The South has Sons & Daughters of the Confederacy, & a rich heritage that predates Jamestown. Some say that the South is still fighting the War Between the States. To those folks I say put down your arms, embrace the past & present, & build the future together.

So now a "for real" Yankee is living in the Deep South, one who calls himself a native transplant. What does this mean to me? For one thing I am no longer on the cusp of the learning curve. I've settled in. I'm comfortable. For another, my roots, though not deep, have penetrated the topsoil & are well nourished.

The autumn of my life may well be upon me soon & I look forward to the gentle seasonal change of the South.

No comments:

Post a Comment